Products are either sold by the cubic yard, which is referred to as just a “yard,” or by the ton (2,000 pounds). The following products are sold by the yard:
- Mortar Sand
- Chapel Hill Gravel
We have calculators that give us the exact tonnage or yardage using the dimensions of the area to fill or cover. But, if you are up for a mathematical challenge, here goes:
- Multiply the length of the area to cover by the width. Make sure that all numbers are either in inches, feet, or yards. Don’t mix increments!
- Next, multiply the value from above by the depth of the cover you want to provide. For example, you may want to top-dress a driveway with crushed stone and have a 2” cover.
- Take this final number, known as the volume of material, and convert it to yards as follows:
- If you were using yards as your increments, do nothing more.
- If you were using feet as your increments, divide the number by 27.
- If you were using inches as your increments, divide the number by 46,656. (You really don’t want to use inches!)
- River Rock – 2.0
- Sand/Gravel – 1.5
- Crushed stone – 1.3
- Topsoil – 1 yard is equal to about 1 ton
- If you are buying product that is sold by the ton, multiply your “yardage” value by the following number to get tons:
You can pick it up yourself or we can deliver. We add a fuel surcharge to the price of the product and will deliver to the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area. Outside this area, there is a charge for additional miles. We can usually deliver within a 24-hour period.
Call us. That is what we are here for. Also, we have a showroom yard so that you can see the products we sell.
Chapel Hill Gravel and “crush and run” ABC (recycled concrete) are the best products to use as a base on driveways. ABC has a larger rock than Chapel Hill Gravel and will resist washout a little better if the driveway is on a grade. Once compacted, it can be top-dressed with crushed stone if so desired.
Give us a call at 919-967-2241